lichess.org
Donate

Machine Level 1 Difficulty

I have played thousands of chess games in my life and am not dumb (I have degrees in chemistry and biology with honors). However, I just lost 5 out of 6 games on level 1 Difficulty.

I presume level 1 is especially hard for children and beginners. Please consider making it easier.
...on second thought, maybe thousands is an overstatement. But I am 37 and have been playing fairly regularly since I was 7. So I bet about a thousand or so.
it depends on the time control, in bullet, i usually lose to level 1 but in classical or blitz it pretty easy
#1 I think at one time, AI level 1 was simply Stockfish with the following options:
* Skill level 0
* Maximum search depth 1
* Maximum move time ?

I think that reducing the maximum move time (or maximum nodes searched) is the best way to weaken level 1, since other changes I've tried cause Stockfish to hang all its pieces almost every turn.
That's all still correct. Movetime is now 50ms.
You are right, for kids & absolutly beginners Level 1 is strong :)
May be Shredder will be ok with 850 Elo settings.

But for my expirience at Level 1 Stockfish 7 (I'm think lichess now uses version 7 of SF) play with 1100 Elo or so.
After 32 games, my record is 13-12-7. I am sure level 1 is too difficult for beginners and children... I've been playing for 30 years for darn sake! Please consider decreasing level 1 Difficulty.
max search depth 1 LOL. Level 1 can be beaten by kids that I play regularly at the library (2nd and 3rd graders).
lv1 is easy for me in 2min+. Pretty easy in 1.5 mins. 1min I'm a little dodgy. 30sec and 45sec are really hard for me.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.